Monday, February 5, 2018

At least brussel sprouts are good for hacky sacks

Happy Monday everyone! It's been raining this weekend, not snowing, which is a bit of a bummer- but hey, we'll take what we can get! 
We were on bikes this week, but the weather was nice and moderate for most of it so that was a blessing! We did some really neat service on Wednesday. One of the food panties we volunteer for was having a huge event for the homeless in Rock Hill and we were there to put together boxes of food for anyone who showed up to get them. We got the food from these huge bulk pallets that companies had donated, and one of the things we had was brussel sprouts. Stacks and stacks of brussel sprouts. One of the boxes broke open, too, so there were brussel sprouts just rolling all over the floor by the time we got there. I found out they're pretty fun to kick around and play with, but I commented to one of the other volunteers that I didn't really like them as food. She laughed and said she didn't think anyone did. 
It was funny, but it got me thinking. One of the reasons I like volunteering at the food pantry is that I get to see where all those food drive donations I put in as a kid ended up. But the brussel sprouts brought the thought: When I donated something or did another kind of service, was I just giving away "brussel sprouts"? Was I proud to give up something that, really, I was all too happy to part with? Or did I think of the person I was giving to, and truly give them the things I would want to be given if I was in their place? Was I serving with my leftovers, or was I giving it my all? I guess you could say it was "food for thought." The good news is, there were plenty of other foods there, so we were not just handing out brussel sprouts.  
Anyway, we had fun biking this week. There are plenty of sidewalks in Rock Hill, which makes us feel a lot safer. Plus, the winter makes it very comfortable to wear leggings while we're biking, which is very comfortable. You tend to meet good people while you're out biking. I can't wait until the evenings start getting brighter, though. 
That's about it for this week. We wnt to a zone activity today. It was at the same park that I had my first ever zone activity, in Shelby *sniff* Good times. 
Y'all have a great week!
Love,
Sister Reay 


No comments:

Post a Comment